The books on this list changed my life.
We designers never have enough time! You are expected to browse the 184,00 design blogs on the Internet, read the 67 magazines delivered to your studio, or participate in the myriad IIDA, ASID, USGBC, AIA, or other chapter events in your city…and get your CEU’s! Continuing education for designers is often focussed on code, product, or other design related issues.
All of this learning and interaction is a great way to keep your design skills sharp, but you spend so much time trying to keep up with the ever-changing industry, that focus on YOU, and YOUR actual business success and work satisfaction can fall to the wayside. Our business and career happiness is important too!
Theses books are not just educational, but engaging reads as well! And, they will not only give your designerly brain a break from standard industry fodder, but will help you:
- sell your services more effectively so you make more money and work better projects.
- create strong and enjoyable relationships with your clients so you feel more valued and respected in your work
- free your days of the time-consuming busy work so you can focus more on what you love about your work
- have more of those aha! moments
- find clarity and design better
Here is the list of books that changed my life and I believe every designer should read:
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
This book helps you create solid relationships in both your work and personal life and truly get people to like you, and do the things you would like them to do!
2. The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks
Take your life and your design work to the next level and find new inspiration as this book teaches you how to eliminate the barriers to success by overcoming false fears and beliefs.
3. Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding The Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty by Patrick M. Lencioni
This is a business book written as a narrative, that will help you earn the respect of your clients and grown your business. You will learn how to gain competitive advantage in tough times, why the quality of vulnerability is so important in business, and methods of inspiring customer and client loyalty.
Want to start your learning immediately in a fun and engaging way? Our inaugural online CEU, Make Every Client Love You! is based on the teachings of these books!